SimplyPats User Forum

SimplyPats Portable Appliance Testing Software
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:41 am 

My Megger PAT 420 is saying memory 98% full. Megger says it will store 10,000 test results. Does anyone know what happens when you reach 10k? I phoned Megger and they were quite vague. They said their Powersuite Pro software allows you to trim down previous test results and then restore the database but it says nothing about that in their software guide. Seems a lot of money to fork out for some software which may not do what its supposed to.The PAT420 is an outstanding product but I think Megger have made a big mistake in this housekeeping problem. Don't fancy deleting 9000 test results off the macine one by one...
Can anyone help or advise, please?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:47 am 
Site Admin

Hi Safe Ron

The Megger 400 series of testers have the ability to both export data and receive data, this is performed via the USB Memory Stick. Compatible software makes this process easier by allowing you to manage the data.

SimplyPats is capable of downloading test data from the tester and uploading that same data back to the tester (taking into account memory restrictions).

Once you have all of your test data in SimplyPats, you can then clear the tester memory (if required) and upload “selected” test data at a later date.

In your case, if you transferred the 9,000 tests to the memory stick and then imported them into SimplyPats, you would have the option of transferring any number of those 9,000 tests back to the tester at a later date ready for retest.

You have not mentioned if you are a contractor or carrying out in-house testing, either way the principle would be similar. If you are a contractor and returning to a customer to carry out retesting, you could just upload the selected customers data back to the tester ready for that job.

If you are in-house testing, you could just select a range of appliances and upload just those selected appliances back to the tester. Using the sorting and grouping functionality built into SimplyPats you can easily select just the appliances you want. In-house testers generally target certain locations, in this instance you would simply group the data by location and select all of the appliances for the locations that you want to retest. These can then be uploaded back to the tester via the memory stick.

Unless there has been a Firmware upgrade to suggest otherwise, at the time of writing the Megger 400 series of testers are only capable of downloading all of the data stored in memory. When you upload data back to the tester, all of the existing data stored within the testers internal memory gets overwritten with the test data that you are currently uploading. For example, if you have data for 9,000 appliances stored on the tester now and you uploaded 500 appliances back to the tester the original 9,000 appliances would be deleted and replaced with the 500 you are uploading.

If you are interested in exploring the features and functionality of how SimplyPats V7 works with the Megger 420 (or Megger 410 and Megger 450) in more detail, please give me a call on our support number, it’s sometimes easier to explain these details over the phone.

Regards Carl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:37 am 

Hi Carl.
Thanks for that helpful information. From what you are saying, it would seem that the tester needs to have a back up and restore every so often to clean down unwanted test results.I regularly back up the data base of assets to usb, and I download the test results after each testing session so I can print reports and invoice the client, but unless I then do a restore from usb of the current back up to wipe the test results, previous test results will stay on the tester. In my case, there are two years of tests stored against the same assets. So I have 4500 assets that I test each year on a regular basis. I have done this twice so now I have 9000 test results sitting there on the tester.
Maximum number of tests on the memory- 10,000. All I need to do is do a back up and then do a restore of the database of 4500 assets and that should also remove the 9000 unwanted test results from the machine. It would have been nice if Megger made that clear in their instruction manual. I will give you a call later today to ask about SimplyPats 7 as my current version does not have a upload to tester function. Many Thanks. Ron.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ron

Glad to be of help and look forward to your call.

Regards Carl